Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Autumn Readings

Fall is the season when many people reach for their mysteries and thrillers on their bookshelves. There is something about this season that makes people yearn for suspense. Maybe it's the chill in the air causing it... Maybe it's the fact that Halloween is so close that makes a hand twitch towards the ghost story near the nightstand.

It rained most of this week down here in Atlanta; and, despite it being the South, there was quite a bit of chill in the air. If I hadn't had rehearsal all of this weekend (and for the rest of this week), I would have had a mystery in hand as I sat on the couch.

According to USA Today's Best-Selling Books list for the week of October 13, 2011, 5 out of 10 of the top-selling books are mysteries or thrillers. Two of the other books on the list have recently been made into movies. So, excluding recent media attention to which the popularity of these books could be contributed, 5 out of 8 books on the top-selling list for this week are thrillers.

Does this trend stand true for you? What genre do you find yourself reading more often than not when weather turns colder?

If you're interested in a good mystery series outside of the Agatha Christies, Nancy Drews, and Hardy Boys, I highly recommend the Eve Duncan series by Iris Johansen. It has a lot of intrigue, some really interesting forensics information, a little bit of romance, and plenty of explosions. For those less interested in books with romance, I suggest books by James Patterson.

1 comment:

  1. In the category thrillers, I just finished the "Girl with the..." trilogy. I liked the first one the best. I don't think Larsson is a particularly good writer (and I am sure a TON was lost in translation) but I liked his characters and the plot. Looking forward to watching the movies now :)

    ReplyDelete