Thursday, December 8, 2011

Pages on the Silver Screen

A lot of good books are made into movies. Some of my favorites, in fact, are in the process of being filmed. Some people say the movies will never be as good as the books. Others say the movies are actually better than the books.

I tend to favor the books over their films, but I can appreciate both. For example, I think the Harry Potter books were better than the movies, but I still love the movies. There might even be some films I prefer to the original books. I can't think of anything offhand (probably the English major in me blocking them out), but I relatively certain it's happened before.

One of my policies when it comes to books being made into films is that I have to read the book before I see the movie. I never wittingly break this rule... But I have broken it because of lack of Googling. I watched the last summer's Something Borrowed without knowing it was a book first. I still haven't read the book because I don't have enough free time to dedicate to it, but I certainly plan to do so. I loved the movie, so I'm actually pretty excited about reading the book.

There are some films I will put off watching until I finish the book- like I did with the movie The Help. The problem with that is sometimes I miss seeing the film in theaters, which is a little disappointing.

Here are some trailers for movies based off of books that will be coming out soon:



How about you? Do you prefer books or films?

5 comments:

  1. The Hunger Games is the best series I've read in a REALLY long time. I hope it translates well into the big screen because if done poorly it could end up as a lot of senseless violence with none of the satire underneath it.
    I usually like books better. Some exceptions: The Chronicles of Narnia.
    I know, right? English gods strike me down if you must but I just can't STAND C.S. Lewis. I think he's muy pretentioso.
    Same with the Lord of the Rings series. I guess high fantasy just doesn't do it for me if I have to sit there and look at a map to figure out if they're fighting good guys or bad guys...
    Actually, that's my main problem with most fantasy books. What good are maps? I don't want to stop your story just to look and see if the characters are about to fall into the sea. Just tell me they're going to fall into the sea!
    Dear fantasy authors, No MORE MAPS! Nobody cares.
    Sincerely,
    Weatherly

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find myself sometimes flipping to the maps so I can guess where characters go next.

    I agree though- they can be really cumbersome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoy seeing how books "translate" into movies - although sometimes the effect is horrible as in the most Stephen King-based movies (with the exception of The Shining - Jack Nickolson was just too good in it). But sometimes I am pleasantly surprised - for example, I love the book Into the Wild but when I heard they are making a movie, I could not imagine how that would work. The movie was fantastic.
    I hate it the most when books with unhappy endings turn into movies with happy endings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Every time I see the trailer for the Hunger Games, I promise you I press play and watch it all over again. SO GOOD. I cannot wait.

    I'm more of a book person. On the whole, I read a crap ton more than I watch movies.

    Did I mention I can't wait for the Hunger Games? EEP.

    Lor

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm really excited about The Hunger Games too! It looks like it's going to be pretty amazing.

    ReplyDelete