Monday, January 16, 2012

The Transformation of Fairy Tales into Disney Classics

Yesterday, I went to a theater with some friends to see Beauty and the Beast in 3-D. I was really excited about it because Beauty and the Beast was the first movie I saw in theaters ever, and it is now the first movie I have ever seen in 3-D. A lot of things have changed since when I was little (like this time I will actually remember seeing the movie), one of them being in my knowledge of fairy tales. I started thinking about the original tale during the Gaston scene in the tavern (by the way, there is a cat head mounted on the wall at one point). A lot of things, actually, have changed in fairy tales after Disney got a hold of them.

Being a child who grew up in the nineties, I love Disney movies. I adore them. That aside, I also love the original fairy tales. Just ask anyone who knows me... I can be pretty annoying about it. Yes, the original tales are rather morbid compared to the Disney versions. After all, the little mermaid dies, Cinderella's stepsisters cut off parts of their feet, and Rapunzel's prince is blinded. These are not exactly things we want to expose to children on the big screen.

But there are a lot of little, less traumatizing things left out from the Disney tales. What happened to the little ring the Beast gives to Beauty so she can return to him? Or the tree Cinderella planted at her mother's grave that helps take care of her? Why was there no little gold ball lost in The Princess and the Frog? In my opinion, this was the tale they altered the most. Why are these the things we have lost in the translation from a classic story to a treasured children's movie?

When Disney does keep some of these things in its movies, I get really excited. The magic mirror is still in Beauty and the Beast, after all. I understand there are time constraints with movies, but was there really no time to reference the poisoned comb and cursed corset in Snow White? 


Disney has announced they will be producing a new version of The Snow Queen tale under the title of Frozen. I am looking forward to it because it is one of my favorite stories from when I was little, and I do still love what Disney does with these tales. I think I will be disappointed, however, if Disney decides not to keep in more elements of the original story in Frozen than they did in The Princess and the Frog. 

1 comment:

  1. ooh~!! i can't wait to watch beauty&the beast in 3d here!!! :D :D :D and snow queen, too.

    ReplyDelete