Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Confession Wednesday

When school is in session, I do not have much time to read leisure books. I primarily blog about books, so that means I also run out of things to write about a couple of weeks after classes start. Unless, of course, anyone wants to hear about my super interesting book I am reading for the senior CORE (Oglethorpe's version of gen ed classes) class. We get to learn about theories that were proven wrong hundreds of years ago! Yay! Do you like history with your philosophy? Want a diagram thrown in and coordinates launched at you out of the blue? Then you will love these books!

My bitterness is showing through.

I do understand how our CORE classes are beneficial. We get a well-rounded education with a focus on the classics, etc., but I am just really sick of these dry books. I have read public records that are more interesting. I have read things in Middle English that were clearer than these books. Politicians take less time getting to the point than these books.

I do enjoy the CORE program here, but I would like my science classes to have a little more substance to them than just discussing theory. I have spent the past two years of philosophy/sociology CORE and history CORE dealing with theory. Can we just get a little more hands-on in our science approach?

It is still earlier in the semester, though, so we will see how it goes. I have had this professor twice before, and I have really enjoyed those classes. I think I need to take a breath and let go of the unrealistic expectations I had for this class.

After all, I would not let a bunch of English, Art, and Philosophy majors just go to town in a chemistry lab either.

My professor has done some things to get us more involved. Today, we worked with the five basic geometric shapes to see how Euclid came up with them and why Plato thought they were so important. A friend of mine cracked a joke about how Plato must have played Dungeons and Dragons. This is actually one of the first time I have used a type of shorthand in typed notes. I really am just more likely to recognize "d20" as opposed to "icosahedron." I am actually pretty sure Alfred and I were the only ones who got that joke in the class.

I like that he engages us in class; I just wish the books would engage us too.

No comments:

Post a Comment