Monday, July 30, 2012

Marry Me Monday: Buffalo Chicken Dip

I don't know if there are any words to describe how I feel about buffalo chicken dip. I love it. I adore it. I never want it to leave me. It's great for parties and as a snack (a delicious snack that ends with me eating half of a bag of chips with it). It tastes so good. I love the kick it has. Oh, buffalo chicken dip. I love you.

This Sunday, I made a batch of it with my boyfriend, Joseph, since he was here for the weekend before he drives off to spend the week at the beach with his family (lucky... he gets to spend all day on the ocean). I still have a lot of it in the fridge, and that makes me really happy. Of course, my next post will probably be documenting my exercise attempts to work off all of this deliciousness.

Now, making buffalo chicken dip is actually really easy. Here's what you'll need:

  • 1 Rotisserie chicken (I like Kroger's)
  • 1 Bottle of buffalo wing sauce- everyone I know who has made this swear by Frank's wing sauce. I used it this time; I do have to say it is the best sauce I've had, but I used the Kroger brand the first time, and it still tasted really good.
  • 1 Bottle of ranch (bleu cheese will work as well, if you prefer it)- my mom swears by Wishbone Ranch; I don't think it makes much of a difference.
  • 1-1/2 pack of cream cheese 
  • 2 tbs of butter
The first thing you'll want to do is pick all of the chicken apart and put it into a saucepan (after preheating the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit). This part is the worst for me because sometimes I get squicked out. That's where Joseph comes in handy! Once you've gotten all of the chicken you can use into the sauce pan, you add in the ENTIRE bottle of buffalo wings sauce. You will not want to skimp on the sauce. Then you add in the butter, heat the mixture, and stir until the butter has melted or the chicken is hot.



While the chicken and the sauce is heating, you should take out a shallow glass pan (7x11 works well), and line the bottom of that with the cream cheese. You should smash it down to create a (mostly) even layer on the bottom. Do not grease or butter the pan; it will just make this harder. Take it from me. I don't know what possessed me to do it, but I spent a good deal of time telling the cream cheese to just STAY DOWN. Honestly, I only used one pack of cream cheese, but some people like a little more. It's less of a hassle getting an even layer if you use a pack and a half.

Once the chicken is heated and your cream cheese is layered, pour the chicken and the sauce over the cream cheese. Use a spoon to spread it out into the pan. Once this is done, you add the ranch dressing to the top of it all. You can use any design you want! It won't take a whole bottle; you might want to use about half. It really depends on how much of a kick you want your buffalo dip to have. I went a little, uh, heavy-handed on the ranch dressing here. 



Once all of that is done, and the oven is heated fully, you stick the dish in there. Put thirty minutes on the timer, check to make sure you have some chips, and all that's left to do is wait!

I accidentally left it in the oven an extra five minutes. 

Trust me, it is well worth the wait. Joseph and I certainly enjoyed it!

6 comments:

  1. That looks delicious! Adding to the Must Try list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I already know my husband would love this. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've made this before! It's also really, really goood if you add a bag of shredded cheddar into the dip itself and then melt more on top in the oven for about 5 minutes. Ugh, to die for! Canned chicken works just as well too if you drain it and saves the hassle of having to pick the chicken off the bone.

    And I've always used Texas Pete's sauce-- so good you want to eat the whole pan!! :D

    ReplyDelete