Monday, July 23, 2012

Marry Me Monday: Mismatched Tea Parties

Now we all know that I have a ridiculous and intense love of tea. I love how you can have it hot or cold, sweet or bitter, and even tasting of blueberries. Tea is right up there with Christmas for me. And one of the best parts about tea is having tea parties!

I talk about having tea parties a lot, but I don't have them as often as I'd like. When you're a college student, it's hard to find the time (or the money) to throw together enough cucumber sandwiches and tiny cakes... Not to mention how silly it can look when you're all drinking tea out of snowman mugs in May. When I think tea parties, I think of sitting at tables in nice dresses with fancy hats drinking out of teacups like this oneBut I only have one of those, and I wouldn't even know where to start if I wanted to get a whole set that matched that teacup.

So how do you have a fancy tea party without breaking the bank or giving up some of the magic?

Well, I've found that a lot of small antique stores and thrift shops have individual teacups for sale pretty cheap a lot of the time. You can even find some with matching saucers for under $10. Or you can get lucky and find the saucer in one place, and then find the matching teacup in another.

Matching teacups don't make up the entirety of the magic of the tea party. It's more of the daintiness of a nice teacup and the small clinking you hear when you set it down on its saucer that really adds to the effect. It doesn't matter if you have a red rose pattern and the person sitting next to you has a teacup decorated with dragonflies and eggplants.


Mismatched tea parties are just as fun as the ones with matching sets, and I've been to both. So I love bring your own teacup parties, especially because it's so much fun seeing all of the different teacups! You can spend less time worrying about what you're going to be drinking out of and more time whipping up the food you'll all be nibbling on while sipping your tea.

Do you have any great tea party ideas? Any great tea party memories? I'd love to hear from you!

2 comments:

  1. You can also buy a lot of teacups and things from Goodwill for cheap.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is great! I'm going to have to scope out my local Goodwill.

    ReplyDelete