Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Getting into Shape: Day One

Today marked the first day of me working to get back into shape. After four years of huffing and puffing up the itty bitty death stairs of Hearst, I have finally decided to get back to the point where I no longer get winded walking up a hill. I'm not trying to lose weight; I'm working to be healthier. Enough people have told me that good habits start at my age (I heard you the first ten times, Mom), so I'm taking it to heart.

Ready to workout!
I don't like working out in front of people. It's one of the reasons I didn't spend much time at the gym when I was attending Oglethorpe. So I'm getting into shape using my Wii Fitness game! It was a rough start because I had to run all over the house to find AA batteries for the Wii fitness board thing. I started out doing different yoga poses. For everyone who cracks jokes about my gracelessness, I'll have you know that my balance is pretty good. So there. If only it would stay that way while I'm walking. I think the poses were a little more difficult than they would normally be because I do have a bit of an ear infection right now, and I've been having some dizzy spells because of it.

One thing I really didn't like? That smug avatar that runs in front of you during the basic short distance run. She keeps turning around and waving at me while I'm running. Also, I'm not supposed to pass her during the run, so she keeps speeding up whenever I get close to her. She's like the obnoxious person at the gym who always looks over at your treadmill to see how fast you're going so she can always go faster. I hate her already.

They really mean it when they tell you not to try to pass the avatar though. One, it's hard because she keeps speeding up every time you do. Two, you're going to look ridiculous in the process. I ran like Shaggy and Scooby to pass her, and my hair fell out of its ponytail. My score went down, too. It was a little frustrating.

I also tried the locus focus. That thing is like something out of an H.P. Lovecraft story. You cross your legs and try to keep absolutely still on the Wii board. The only thing on the screen is a candle whose flame shakes when you move. There is a small area illuminated by the candle. The rest is complete darkness. After a couple of seconds, you hear footsteps getting progressively closer. You still don't see anything. They move closer. A moth flies towards the flames. Somethings makes unintelligible noises. The footsteps move closer, then away. The moth flies into the flame, and you hear footsteps moving towards you again. I don't know what happens after that because I was too busy getting the hell off the Wii board before Cthulu popped through the screen to eat my soul.

All in all, though, it was a pretty good experience. One of my friends told me about a Wii Just Dance game that I really want to try out. Do you have any fun ways to get into shape? I'd love to hear from you!

2 comments:

  1. I'm in the military to being fit wasn't an option, but enjoying definitely is.

    So, when I was making a list of things I wanted in a dog, I wanted one of the things to be that the dog would require being taken out for a walk or a trip to the dog park. Not that the dog park is "working out", but I go with that option when its ninety-mabillion degrees outside.

    Its definitely made a difference in my life. Now I've learned to appreciate running (or slow jogging) and everyone benefits!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great! My dogs get so excited when we take them out for a long walk.

    ReplyDelete