Sunday, August 26, 2012

Pumpkin Spice Waffles

I'm really excited about fall getting here, and I still had about half a can of pumpkin puree left from when I made pumpkin chocolate chip cookies last week, so I decided to make pumpkin waffles this week. 

I followed the recipe for pumpkin pancakes from here. The only thing I did differently was that I used a waffle iron. There are multiple recipes for pumpkin spice waffles, but those all called for me to break out my mixer. I prefer to minimize my mess, so I went with this recipe instead. 

I'm really glad I did. The waffles weren't overwhelmingly pumpkin; they were pretty much just right! I used butter-flavored maple syrup to top them off.

You'll need:

  • 1 1/2 cups milk
  • 1 cup pumpkin puree
  • 1 egg
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil (I used extra virgin olive oil)
  • 2 tablespoons vinegar

Mix all of these together in a medium sized mixing bowl.

  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 3 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon ground allspice
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt

In a smaller bowl, mix these ingredients together. Slowly add the powdered mixture to the bigger bowl, stirring to combine. I used a waffle iron to cook these, so I just waited for the thing to beep. I didn't really get a good idea of how long it took because I was washing the dishes I had used to make the batter. It might help to test them with a toothpick. 

This makes a lot of waffles. I still haven't run out of the batter (I didn't make all of them at once because I think they taste better fresh). Depending on how liberal you are with the batter, you could probably get about a dozen out of this recipe.

I love how it has just the right amount of pumpkin. The perfect morning kickstarter for fall!



6 comments:

  1. Just stopped by for a visit. I love, love, love waffles! I've been making them with muffin batter (my daughter-in-law's brilliant idea). I can't wait to try this. I love pumpkin almost as much as waffles. Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pumpkin+waffles=2 of my favorite things in one place. So excited for fall!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that right there is why I love fall so much. Nice temperatures, lots of colors and GREAT seasonal food. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you! I love fall; it's such a great season.

    ReplyDelete
  5. yummmmm! These look delicious! I wish I had more time in the morning to make breakfast more often!

    I just found your blog! I love it! New Follower Here!

    -Hannah
    thirstyworlddesigns.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete