Friday, August 3, 2012

Quick and Easy Crispy Potatoes

This is something that I've taken to making a lot because it's really easy and I really love potatoes. Really really love potatoes. I'm the type of person who orders french fries and a baked potato for my two sides. Not the healthiest thing to do, but potatoes are just so good. I'm working on loving other vegetables as much (I'm pretty much there with squash and asparagus).

All you need is four to five medium/large sized potatoes, some olive oil, pepper, and salt. Personally, I like freshly ground salt and pepper for this, but you can use regular table salt and pepper. I have, and it still tastes fantastic. It's a very simple dish, so feel free to spice it up with some paprika or dill (I've done both, and I love it).

Since I'm making this for my sister and me, I used four potatoes, and I didn't use any seasonings other than salt and pepper. Delena does not like spicy-hot things, and I'm just not feeling the dill tonight. I probably should have only used three potatoes, but there were four potatoes total, and I felt bad about leaving one of the potatoes all by itself. So we'll probably have some left over. That will actually be new for this dish because we've never had any of it left by the end of the day.

First, you'll want to preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. While the oven is heating up, go ahead and rinse the potatoes and slice them. Cut the slices into quarters. If the potatoes are really big, you might want to cut some of the slices into six pieces. Lay them out in a shallow pan. It doesn't really matter if they're laying evenly at this point because you're just going to mess them up in a second.

Next, you drizzle the olive oil over the potatoes. Don't worry if you're not doing it evenly because, once you have enough olive oil (enough that you think it can coat all of the potatoes without soaking them), sprinkle your seasonings over them. Then stick your hands in the pan and mix up all of the potatoes until they're evenly coated with olive oil. You can also do this in a bowl, but I prefer to use as few dishes as possible to minimize the clean-up. Once they're evenly coated, spread them out in the pan so none of the pieces are covering each other. They don't need breathing space, but they could use some room to brown.

The oven should be heated at this point, so go ahead, stick the pan in there on the top rack, and put 40 minutes on the timer. It will take longer than this for them to be fully baked, but you should rotate the pan once to help both sides brown. After you rotate the potatoes, put another 5 minutes on the clock.

When the timer dings again, they should be done! You can test the potatoes by seeing how easy it is to stick a toothpick or a fork in them. Be careful! The times may vary, so if you don't like your potatoes crispy, you should keep an eye on them while they're baking!


You can enjoy this with any number of sauces. Personally, I prefer ranch. Bet they would taste fantastic with some vinegar.

Do you have any great potato recipes? I'd love to hear about them!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds super yummy! I'm going to have to make these!

    ReplyDelete