Saturday, September 15, 2012

Avocado Pasta

I'm back from my visit to Atlanta! Refreshed, and with more recipes to boot. I had a great time seeing everyone, but I don't know when I'll be back. I have more time before I move than I expected; somethings have come up, so I'm not moving to Austin until October 7th. So who knows? Maybe I'll get another chance to drop by before I go.

While I was there, my friend Cassie and I made some really delicious avocado pasta with a recipe our other friend, Jessica, gave us. I made this again the other night, and it works great. Just make sure your food processor is big enough if you're increasing the proportions.

Okay, so you'll need:

  • a food processor
  • two avocados 
  • two cloves of garlic
  • a "bunch" of fresh basil or parsley (we never really figured out how much a "bunch" was supposed to be, so we did it to taste)
  • 2 tbsp of salt
  • 2 tbsp of olive oil
  • lemon juice (we did this to taste as well, but when I made the recipe with three avocados- which was triple the original recipe since we doubled it the time I made it with Cassie- I used one whole lemon)
  • pasta (we liked the twisty kind)
It's really simple to do. You scoop the avocado into the food processor, chop up the garlic and the basil, add everything else, and blend it. Well, process it, I suppose. 

When it's thoroughly processed, add some pepper (and maybe more salt) to taste.

You can heat the sauce up lightly on the stove, but it actually warms up quite a bit when you put it on the pasta (which, of course, you cook and drain before adding the sauce). 

It's a really simple recipe, and it's really good. You can use it as the whole meal or serve it as a side. 


I think I might go try to find a recipe for Earl Grey cookies now. Yum! Do you have any recipes you'd like to try? Have you tried avocado pasta before? I'd love to hear from you!

8 comments:

  1. I haven't tried a recipe based solely on avocado, but I did have it mixed in with mac & cheese once. Made it very creamy (also added some garlic powder).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I found you via 20sb. This looks like a really fun recipe to try. I may have to make it next time I have my mom over because she LOVES avocado. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my GOD that sounds amazing! Pasta (of any kind) and avocado are two of my favorite foods. Combining them is just plain genius. I don't have a food processor, though. Might have to get creative with that part...

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's really good and really easy to try. I think if you chop up the garlic and herbs well, you can just mash the avocado and mix it all together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello from The TT Diaries :) This recipe sounds absolutely yummy!! I would love to try it but I am avocado challenged, I can never get a ripe one or I get one way too ripe. I have been wanting to make homemade guacamole and have yet to do so. Any tips?

    ReplyDelete
  6. When it comes to picking out ripe avocados, I've found this to be very helpful:
    http://www.avocadocentral.com/how-to/how-to-pick-how-to-buy-avocados

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds super delicious! I can't wait to give it a whirl. And please post the Earl Grey Cookie recipe too!

    ReplyDelete