Saturday, September 22, 2012

Earl Grey Cookies

I've been talking about making Earl Grey cookies for a while, but I ran into a bit of a problem with actually doing it. I didn't have an orange for the orange zest, for one. I also don't really care much for shortbread, and all of the recipes for Earl Grey cookies I found were glorified shortbread recipes. So I decided to make my own, and it's turned out quite well.

I took a sugar cookie recipe (from Betty Crocker's cookbook, if you were curious) and added the ingredients from all of the Earl Grey cookie recipes I found that made the cookies Earl Grey- flavored.

What you'll need:
  • 2 cups granulated sugar
  • 1/2 cup butter (softened)
  • 1/2 cup shortening
  • 1 tbsp vanilla
  • 1 tsp cream of tartar
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/8 tsp salt
  • 3 egg yolks
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 tbsp Earl Grey tea (about six teabags if you don't have loose-leaf tea)
  • 1/2 tbsp orange zest
Preheat the oven to 300 degrees Fahrenheit. 

In a large bowl, beat the sugar, butter, shortening, cream of tartar, salt, and baking soda together on medium for about thirty seconds or until combined.

Then, add everything else (yolks, vanilla, Earl Grey, orange zest) but the flour, and beat again. If you're using loose-leaf tea, like I did (from Sally Lunn's in Bath, to be specific), then use a spice grinder to get the right size. I couldn't find a spice grinder, so I used a mortar and pestle. Whichever works best for you, use it. If you don't know how to get orange zest, you take an orange and a special grater to get small bits of the peel from the orange.

Add the flour in slowly as you continue beating the mixture to mix it in. If that gets to be too difficult (or too much flour is getting kicked up), then mix the remainder of the flour in with a spoon.

Just roll the dough into balls, place on a pan covered with parchment paper, and bake for 15 minutes.

I tend to be a bit liberal with the dough, and this made about 3 dozen cookies. If I were to make this again soon, I think I would cut back a bit on the sugar and the orange zest. They taste very good though. I was just hoping for more of an Earl Grey taste than I got though.

I also tried to make a lemon-honey glaze for the cookies, but that ended really poorly. They were not kidding when they called these "melt-away cookies."

Happy baking! Let me know how yours turn out. 






6 comments:

  1. I would never have thought of making earl grey cookies. I am intrigued by the idea now though!

    Sarah
    http://acatlikecuriosity.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooooh! Can't wait to give these a try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both!
    Please let me know how they turn out! :]

    ReplyDelete
  4. Found you through 20SB. Curiously enough, this post kind of works out with today's 20SB Blogging Prompt: recipes :)

    I love the idea of earl grey cookies. I'm not a very big fan of shortbread either, so it's great to know this works with a simple sugar cookie recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha, I didn't even notice that. I should check it out more often. I really like your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well that's just awesome.

    And here I was trying to decide what kind of cookies to make for a friend for her birthday. These are perfect! :)

    ReplyDelete