Thursday, November 1, 2012

The Texas Book Festival and NaNoWriMo

Last Saturday was my 23rd birthday, and I celebrated by going to a festival for my favorite things- books!

It was the first big event I went to in Austin, and it was amazing! It was really well organized. Parking was a bit of a hassle at first because the parking garage we had originally planned to park in was completely full (that's what I get for not making sure I looked at ALL of the parking areas). But there was plenty of free parking for the festival close by, so we ended up in a really nice space.

The weather was perfect. It was cool enough for a light jacket! The perfect fall weather! There were a lot of people milling around, so it was nice that it was so cool, especially when you were waiting in line in the tents.

I only attended one panel- one with Maureen Johnson and Maggie Stiefvater. I first read Maureen's work back in high school. It was 13 Little Blue Envelopes. If you haven't read that book yet, you should. It's amazing. It encouraged me to get out and travel more. Actually, I picked up Let It Snow (a book I posted about around this time last year) because it had a short story by her in it, and that was what introduced me to John Green.

I was really excited about meeting Maggie Stiefvater because I used her book Lament: The Faerie Queen's Deception in my honors thesis. All in all, the entire panel was like a dream come true. I even got my books signed afterwards!

One of the things they talked about on the panel was National Novel Writing Month, or NaNoWriMo. Maureen was for it as a fun thing for beginning writers (she said NaNoWriMo was every month for her). Maggie was against it. I think the gist was that she thinks you shouldn't put that pressure on yourself to finish before you're ready. But the dialogue got me thinking about doing it this year.

I've meant to do NaNoWriMo before, but I've never actually felt like I had enough time to devote to it. I'm going to go for it this year though! I'm really excited. Feel free to pester me about it on twitter or wherever. They say one of the best motivators can be other people reminding you to work on it.

Are you doing NaNoWriMo this year? I'd love to hear about it!

5 comments:

  1. The whole NaNiWriMo thing is really confusing for me. I know it's super big within the blogging community but it stands for National NOVEL Writing Month, right? And I am a blogger who blogs, not a blogger who wants to write or a writer who happens to blog or any combination, so I don't think it's my kind of thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, National Novel Writing Month, just like it says! It isn't for everyone, and I don't suppose it would be something to do if you didn't really enjoy writing stories. I have heard of a National Blog Post Writing Month though, so maybe that's what you're thinking of?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a blog version, yes. Can't remember the odd name for it, but I heard about it too late to start anyway :)

      I nominated you for a Liebster Award btw- http://www.delightfullyawkwardbrit.com/2012/11/i-got-liebster-award.html

      Delete
  3. I actually had the novel writing month webpage open in my browser for basically all of last week, but decided against it, because I just don't think I have the time (this month my novel will be finishing my research proposal for school... and next month I have a term paper due, so I think I already have enough writing to worry about) Anyways I'm stopping by via delightfully awkward britanny as we've both been nominated for a blog award, and I love it! will be following for sure! Can't wait to hear how your novel writing goes!
    ~Sara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it can be hard to find the time for it. Congratulations on being nominated!

      Delete